Friday, January 15, 2010

"Bamboo" pattern

I just tried a new (for me) pattern today, and thought I would share it with you:

I dampened a women's tank top and vertically accordion folded it. Then I bound it with sinew

Next, I placed it in a plastic bin and poured dye over it
I let it sit in the dye for an hour, then poured over soda ash solution, continuing to let it sit for another hour. Then I untied and laundered in Synthrapol. Here is the result:
I plan to work on my technique some... I want less undyed area and a more distinct marking from the binding. I'll post more pictures as I go along.

1 comment:

  1. consider running the process twice on the same piece- once in a lighter shade and then in a darker shade-refolding in between dyebaths-
    of course you could go crazy and use two different colors so when they overlap, create a third color (plus the base/field color of the fabric).

    ReplyDelete